Saturday, October 17, 2009

Am I A Bad Wife?

My husband is in the National Guard and, once a month, he goes away for drill for the weekend. I used to dread those weekends...an empty bed, no one to come home to, big home projects I don't feel right doing myself. Somehow that's changed in the past few months. Now, I look forward to them. I can craft all weekend and have the house to myself to completely destroy with craft supplies taking up every room, if I want, without him hemming and hawing about stepping on a stray sewing pin or the smell of Mod Podge (I think I've OD'd on the stuff because I don't smell it anymore).

So, this month, he has to be there for five days! FIVE WHOLE DAYS! Don't get me wrong, I'll still miss him terribly, but at least I can keep myself entertained. He left this morning and I went back to bed, sprawling out in starfish mode just because I could. When I woke up, I grabbed the laptop and actually brought it into the bedroom with me. This is another thing I can't do when he's home because I've been told my typing can be awfully loud and has been compared to machine-gun typing. So now, I'm "shooting" away, with two cats jumping over one another on the empty side of the bed. I'm about to begin a list of crafts to accomplish. If it weren't the weekend between pay-weeks, I would be in heaven!

The list:
Work on the two stools/end tables.
Possibly make a table runner for dining room table.
Start on coat hooks for hallway.
Put up curtain rods in kitchen and move curtains to other windows.
Figure out Halloween costume. (Eek! Two weeks left!)
Visit mom and get Halloween decorations she's throwing away.
Scrape walls in bathroom to get ready for painting.
Vacuum. (I know, it's not very crafty, but I don't remember the last time I vacuumed, so that's not a good thing.)

That looks good for now. I don't want to get too overwhelmed.

No comments: