Sunday, September 13, 2009

Circle Tray

For years, I've had a thing for circles as a favorite pattern. I'm naturally drawn to them. I decided I would love a room with a circle motif. Well, I didn't really come up with the idea out of nowhere. My mother-in-law and I went to look at furniture one day and I found the perfect couch, which came in a set with a chair with brown and tan circles, with some hints of blue. At first site, I thought it was too much detail...but I had been safe and plain in my major purchases, thinking a blank canvas would be best. I took a chance and got the circle chair.


Needless to say, I love the chair and it became my inspiration for a circle decor, somewhat modern, but with a retro vibe enough to go with the 1928 molding. But, once I started on the circle motif, I couldn't stop. I did little things here and there, like stenciling a lamp shade and painting a table with circles (but, as soon as I had to clean it, the circles came right off). But, this weekend, I went circle-nuts.

I bought a wooden tray at the craft shop I wanted for my coffee table.



First, I painted it a blue my husband thought he hated (then it dried and he "didn't mind it as much").



(Yeah, I painted my initials into the first coat...)

After the second coat, I cut scrapbooking paper into strips and circles and used Mod Podge to decoupage it to the tray.


With a glue gun and some spare ribbon, I wrapped the handles, just to add that finishing touch.

More weekend circle fun to come!

No comments: